Sunday, November 18, 2012

Something about Sthoee... - Dónal's blog





Something about Sthoee... 

I started back in Sthoee just before I turned 13. That's just over 7 years ago and the last year Sthoee spent in St. Paul's swimming pool. I've got to say; I'm not sure how I've lasted this long.

I'd been swimming in the CRC for a good few years. I was told by my swimming teacher there, that the only natural progression for would be to join a lifesaving club – Sthoee she suggested. My mam took this more seriously than I did myself, and of course it wasn't long before she had me enrolled for the following year. 

When I started I didn't hate Sthoee, but I didn't love it either. I had one or two friends who I had a good laugh with. In school I'd never been the most outgoing and yet in Sthoee it was different. At times I'd say it was hard to get me to shut up 

I did my pool lifeguard qualification at 16.  After finishing it, two of my closer friends left, and I was left in a class with others who I'd rarely talked to, previously, but suddenly became close friends with. Though they've all left Sthoee at this point, I'm still in touch with most of them.

It was last year most of them left. And I remember deliberating myself whether I'd walk away too. Then Michael asked me to go on their new "Survive and Save" instructors course and, after some thought, I decided to say yes.

I'm still here now! I've met more good people and learned more useful skills than I thought I would at the start. I've lost nothing, but gained a lot. And even after all these years I can't really remember why, or when exactly, Sthoee became something I wanted to be part of.

Whatever the reason, I'm glad it happened.  

-- 
Dónal